• If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Stop wasting time looking for files and revisions. Connect your Gmail, DriveDropbox, and Slack accounts and in less than 2 minutes, Dokkio will automatically organize all your file attachments. Learn more and claim your free account.



Page history last edited by Eric G 2 years, 12 months ago

How to become a resident (US students only)


In the summer after your first year, you will petition the university to allow you to become an instate resident. In order to succeed, you need to do some things as early as possible.

  1. Do the things suggested by: http://www.ucop.edu/residency/establishing-residency.html 
  2. Read the petition form. Make sure you've done all the things you can on that form. (Don't worry about making your parents do anything.)
  3. Plan to stay in CA for a majority of the summer, or be doing work related to your grad studies if you're out-of-state for more than 1 month.


Want more information? https://registrar.ucsc.edu/fees/residency/ 




Copying an email from Grad Advisor David Sugg (April 25, 2017):


Hi everyone,


I've received a number of emails about this, and I will respond to those individually, but I wanted to send a message to the group also. There is some missing and incomplete information in the previous messages. For students who are not residents of California, you will have non-resident tuition in addition to the normal resident tuition. This is paid for by the department your first year (if you are not a resident of California, you will notice your offer letter says, "NR Tuition Remission, 3 Qtrs: $15,102.00."). For Domestic students, you will change your residency to California during your first year to avoid these charges in future years. I will send more details about how to do that later this month, but basically you will need to register to vote here and switch your driver's license/ID to California.


For international students, there were recently changes to the funding rules that mean that you and your advisor will not be charged non-resident tuition for your first 6 years. After that, students typically have any non-resident tuition paid for by their advisor. 


I know this is a bit of an information dump, so I will stop here. Please do not be worried that you are going to be charged with surprise tuition during your career here, that does not occur. All of our Ph.D. students who remain in good standing have their tuition/fees paid for and receive a stipend.  


I will be sending out information later this month about the administrative steps you need to take to get set-up. Let me know if you have questions in the meantime.




For the time being, email David at dsugg@ucsc.edu with any questions. We'll update this with the list of administrative steps to obtain California residency sometime before the start of F17.


Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.